30.3.08

Freezing my ass off is worth it this time

Right now, I'm sitting outside of London Heathrow Airport having a cigarette in 8 Degree C weather (that's 46 Degrees F), and I wouldn't have it any other way. Or maybe I would...

See, I have a small problem. Less than 5 hours ago, history was repeating itself to me in the most bizarre and unusual fashion, and it's something I'm not very keen on going through again. I had to say goodbye to her again.

I left Prague after the most amazing 8 days of my life. I was so happy to be there, on my first real vacation in about 9 or 10 months. When I say real, remember that it's on the scale of NO WORK WHATSOEVER FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. I hope the caps made that apparent.

Regardless, I spent 8 days in Prague. Beautiful city. Absofuckinglutely the most amazing city I have ever had the privilege to see. Great city, great people, great times.

But there was something that occluded my view - and you know what? I'm extremely happy that it was there.

My main reason for going to Prague happens to be probably the most important person in my life at the moment. So when I say that I had a distraction with the city, what I really mean to say is that my girlfriend is the most kickass and beautiful woman on the entire planet. Seriously. Had I not gone with her, I might've absorbed more of the city. But you know what? I'm not really that disappointed. I saw her, and that's what counts on this one. I got to be around her after 2 months of something I like to call P.C.D. - or Physical Contact Deprivation. I'll get more into that and it's effects on relationships at another point.

But enough about my babble on that (She's another post entirely), I was glad to be there an experience some of the most amazing sights there are on this planet. Standing on ground that has been held as a castle for 1000 years (that's right, one thousand) was humbling at the very least. Prague Castle is goddamn amazing and put my view of "old" into perspective. Think about it. I'm an American. My view of old is the 232 years of independence my nation has had. The buildings are around 200 years old, give or take, and it's really nothing compared to the castle. F'Serious.

We also hit up Berlin for an overnight stay in the Heart of Gold hostel in Berlin. Ally's a huge fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and this hostel is themed with that. Granted, we didn't get one of the hugely themed rooms, but it was cool nonetheless. No curfew, no bullshit, good price. I'd highly suggest it.

While in Berlin, we pretty much just walked around and looked at the amazing architecture of the place. The Germans know how to build some ridiculous buildings. The
Reichstag is fucking HUGE. Made me feel small. Like crazy. It was nuts. We saw a few other buildings, as well as the Jewish memorial there, and that was pretty interesting. All though I have to say, Prague is better. It stole my heart, for lack of a better term.

I need to go in. It's 6.6 C (43 F), which means my ass is about as cold as it can get.

Until next time.

No comments: